The $thirteen accessory every Chromebook owner should carry

Chromebook Accessory

Information technology's been years since I've traveled with whatever computer other than a Chromebook. For the kind of work I exercise on the get (and at habitation, for that matter), Chrome OS is perfect for my needs: It's fast, light, and hassle-gratuitous -- and it makes information technology easy for me to do exactly what I need to exercise.

There's just one problem with relying on a Chromebook while on the road: About Chromebooks lack a good old-fashioned Ethernet port. And whether yous're in a hotel or at a conference (hello, I/O), there are plenty of times when reliable Wi-Fi access isn't available but you even so demand to be online.

I learned early on -- back when I was traveling with my clunky erstwhile first-gen Samsung Chromebook -- that non having the option to plug in when needed can be a real problem. The situation may non come up terribly often, but trust me: You don't desire to be unprepared if and when information technology does.

Chromebook Ethernet

Luckily, the solution's pretty simple: All you need is a cheap little adapter that lets you connect your Chromebook to Ethernet via USB. I picked 1 up for about 15 bucks a couple years agone and haven't traveled without it since. I don't demand it likewise oftentimes, simply when I do, it'southward there -- and all I do is plug information technology into a USB port, connect an Ethernet cable, and I'k expert to get; Chrome OS automatically detects the connection and I'm online in seconds.

The adapter I got is made by a company called (much to my amusement) BobjGear. Information technology'southward now selling for $18 on Amazon.

At that place are plenty of others that work just equally well: NewEgg has ane made by EdiMax that's currently $xiii, for instance. I haven't used it myself, only I know of at least one Googler from the Chrome Os team who'south given it a thumbs-up.

Chromebook USB Ethernet Adapter

Speaking of Google, I've been told the visitor stocks Cisco-fabricated adapters for Chromebook use on its ain campus; you can observe those for $25 at Amazon at the moment.

I've heard good things about a $14 adapter past TrendNet, too.

Ultimately, they all do the same thing and it doesn't much matter which ane you lot choose. If I were to become one now, I'd probably go with the EdiMax since it'south the cheapest, but whatsoever of them volition go the job done.

Android Power Twitter

If you use your Chromebook out and virtually in the earth, though, I'd strongly suggest picking i and throwing information technology in your estimator purse. You never know when it might relieve the day.

[Say what?! 3 major misconceptions about Google's Chrome OS]

Copyright © 2014 IDG Communications, Inc.